Partition a single physical machine into multiple self contained virtual machines.
Bare metal architecture. Runs directly on server hardware for near native virtual machine performance, reliability and scalability.
Resource virtualization. Comprehensively virtualize CPU, memory, network and storage resources and make them intelligently available and balanced among numerous virtual machines for greater hardware utilization and no impact to service levels.
Scalability. Scale virtual machines with support for upto 64GB of RAM and consolidate onto large servers with support for upto 128 GB of physical memory.
Performance. Optimize virtual machine performance and run many machines on the same server with the following techniques:
- Transparent page sharing to utilize memory more efficiently by storing a single instance of shared memory pages
- RAM over-commitment to increase memory utilization
- Memory ballooning to ensure workloads are not starved
- Network performance optimizations to reduce CPU overhead
- Large memory pages and hardware page table support to optimize memory access
- Paravirtualization support for virtualization aware Linux operating systems
Clustered file system. Store virtual machines as disk files on local or shared storage centrally managed by the high performance VMFS file system.
- When using shared storage such as Fibre channel or iSCSI , VMFS functions as a logical volume manager and manages interaction of VMware ESX with the physical storage arrays
- VMFS allows multiple VMware ESX hosts to access the same LUN by controlling access to individual VM files with on-disk file locking
Symmetric Multi-processing. Enable a single virtual machine to use up to four physical processors simultaneously with 4-way VSMP.
NEW - VMware ESXi
Server integration. Simplify and speed up virtualization deployments with VMware ESXi -- pre-integrated as a no cost option into all host server hardware provided by Alliance Technologies.
Small footprint. Reduce virtualization complexity with VMware ESXi, a compact 32MB form factor of VMware ESX, that is a fraction of the size of a general purpose operating system, providing unmatched security and reliability.
Security and reliability. Minimizes surface area for potential security attacks, making it the most secure and reliable hypervisor.